To join my mailing list dedicated to new managers, click here. It’s different than my general list (the link is in the footer), and only has content related to work, career, and developing skills to become a more authentic and effective leader.
Personal growth meets professional development when it comes to developing your soft skills. Emotional intelligence and communication skills can be learned. Technical skills will only get you so far. You need to develop the mindset and skillset to successfully manage people.
People leave managers, not companies.
Managers make a huge difference for your company, especially as it grows. Gaps in management skills interfere with team productivity and put culture at risk. Morale sours, engagement drops, retention and staffing suffer. Everything is harder when soft skills are ignored.
Become a more effective and authentic leader.
You won’t become more skillful simply by acquiring more information. You must practice. But how? With support, guidance, coaching, and a safe learning environment, you’ll build these skills over time. Learning by doing lets you develop your own effective, authentic leadership style.
The Group Program
The ESNM Group Program was developed after 2 years, working with over 800 new managers. It provides ongoing support and empowers learning by doing. With group coaching you get accountability and personal attention.
The program gives you bite-size lessons and time to digest and apply them — so you integrate each learning, and build your skills and confidence.
What You’ll Learn
Develop your self-awareness and communication skills. You’ll improve your understanding and practice of:
- Managing Through Change & Uncertainty: Cultivate your inner calm and resilience, so you can manage your energy and your team when things change fast.
- The Support & Authority Map. Learn the framework I use to organize all of the skills you’ll need as a manager. Identify your leadership habits. Understand how to work with different personalities.
- Managing Up: Develop skills and strategies for effective communication with people higher up in the organization.
- Coaching Conversations: Learn how to have a coaching conversation so you can better guide and mentor others. Become more skillful when others bring problems to you: do you need to solve it, tell the person what to do, or coach them to find the right next step?
- Giving and Receiving Feedback: Get better at having uncomfortable conversations, and giving positive as well as corrective feedback. Learn ways to respond effectively when others are hostile or defensive with feedback.
Anyone who identifies as a manager or leader is welcome to apply.
Apply Now to Join
Apply now. You’ll be notified with additional details and invited to a consultation call with Kim, where you can ask questions and decide if it’s right for you.
What Students Are Saying
“I took Kim’s New Managers Course and I just have to say Kim is one of the most encouraging teachers I’ve ever had. Not only did she create a collaborative and supportive learning environment during our weekly sessions, but she provided me with tailored talk tracks for expressing yourself in difficult situations, concrete tools for navigating tough conversations, etc. Can’t recommend her enough!”
Rachel J., Account Manager at Pinterest
“This class was extremely helpful and actionable. I have learned more practical skills, that I am comfortable trying out, than any other management class I have taken. Thank you so much for all the great advice and I look forward to implementing my learnings in the months/years to come.”
— Sidney B., Student Community Manager, Course Hero
“I felt like an imposter as I became a new manager. Kim’s deep knowledge, inquisitive nature, and masterful ability to create a safe space in the class, unlocked a passion for management and a confidence in myself about my ability to walk down the non-linear path of management that I didn’t know I had. Thank you, Kim! ”
— Lauren H., Head of Community, WorkStep
Upcoming Public Workshops
I teach public workshops at General Assembly. It is recommended, though not required, that you take my Managing Humans: Essential Skills for New Managers workshop prior to the 5-week program.
My full teaching schedule is updated here: https://generalassemb.ly/instructors/kim-nicol/4911
My workshops and coaching help new managers and high-potentials succeed at work. I help companies develop their people and nurture emerging leaders. Taking care of humans is taking care of business.
Want to ask about 1:1 coaching or group trainings? Contact me.